FOSSASIA 2015 Singapore – Wrap Up
FOSSASIA 2015 in Singapore has been a fantastic success. Thanks to everyone who helped to make this event possible! We would also like to thank all sponsors, venue partners and our main supporters Red Hat and Google. FOSSASIA 2016 will take place from March 18-20 in Singapore. Below are some numbers and facts of 2015 now, some info about ‘What’s Next in 2015’ and our FOSSASIA GSoC program with 5,500 USD stipends for students (Deadline 27 March. Apply now).
FOSSASIA’15 NUMBERS & FACTS
- We had 128 speakers from 27 countries and 900+ attendees. 37 volunteers supported the event.
- There were 142 scheduled sessions and lightning talks, and 58 breakout and unconference sessions.
- Dozens of talks are already available as videos. Thousands of photos have been uploaded to social networks. 1500+ tweets with the FOSSASIA hashtag were posted during the event.
- Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan, the Singapore Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation Initiative said at the event at a Q&A with Roland Turner: “Rest assured, we will continue to support Open Data and Open Source.“
- Other keynotes included Lennart Poettering with systemd; Bunnie Huang gave insights to Open Hardware Development; Colin Charles about the future of MariaDB, and Gen Kanai talked about developer engagement at Mozilla.
- “Build your own minimum viable Internet” was a hot topic at the event set by Harish Pillay as well as the Internet of Things and enabling local production with digitization of machines like knitting machines.
- A first trend analysis of FOSSASIA shows that Python continues to receive increasing attention of developers and DevOps topics attracting a lot of interest.
WHAT’S NEXT IN 2015
- Due to the large interest in DevOps at FOSSASIA we are teaming up with Red Hat to bring you some free Open Stack webinars including a 3-webinar series to learn how PaaS partnered with DevOps can improve application time to market. Please follow this link for the free webinar.
- And: DevOps can also join a free webinar to learn about the Keystone identity service, which is part of the OpenStack Platform.
- FOSSASIA is a mentor org for Google Summer of Code 2015. We are looking for students who would like to develop for Open Source projects and receive a stipend of 5,500 USD. We are particularly looking for mobile app developers and software developers for Open Hardware and the Internet of Things. Please check out our ideas list here: http://labs.fossasia.org/ideas and sign up before March 27 on Google Melange.
- The FOSSASIA community organizes events and developer meetups throughout the year. Please join our meetups in Singapore, in Dubai and many other cities in Asia.
Sign up for GSoC before March 27: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/
FOSSASIA Photos: https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=fossasia
FOSSASIA on Twitter: https://twitter.com/fossasia
FOSSASIA Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chan
FOSSASIA Sg Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/FOSSASIA
DevOps Webinars: https://vts.inxpo.com/scripts/Server.nxp
Keystone identity service Webinar: http://www.redhat.com/en/about/events