In this post I would like to explain what is software testing and different methods, levels of software testing.
What is software testing?
Software Testing is the process of evaluating a system or its components with the intent to find whether it satisfies the specified requirements or not.
Testing is executing a system in order to identify any gaps, errors, or missing requirements in contrary to the actual requirements.
What are the Levels of software testing?
Software products are tested at four levels:
- Unit testing
- Integration testing
- System testing
- Acceptance testing
- During unit testing, modules are tested in isolation. If all modules were to be tested together, it may not be easy to determine which module has the error.
- Unit testing reduces debugging effort several folds. Programmers carry out unit testing immediately after they complete the coding of a module.
Role of Unit Testing
- Assure minimum quality of units before integration into system
- Focus attention on relatively small units
Testing forces us to read our own code – spend more time reading than writing
- Automated tests support maintainability and extendibility
After different modules of a system have been coded and unit tested:
- modules are integrated in steps according to an integration plan
- partially integrated system is tested at each integration step.
Role of Integration Testing
- Gain confidence in the integrity of overall system design
- Ensure proper interaction of components
Integration Testing Strategies
- Gain confidence in the integrity of the system as a whole
- Ensure compliance with functional requirements
- Ensure compliance with performance requirements
- Testing performed by the customer or end-user himself
- to determine whether the system should be accepted or reject
Testing is very important step of software development. We have used unit testing for our project Engelsystem. We are developing new features. Interested Developers can work with us.
You must log in to post a comment.
This Post Has One Comment
Pingback: Engelsystem GSoC 2016 Summary | FOSSASIA