Giraffe is a personal conference schedule tool for Android. Most conferences, bar camps and similar events offer their plan of sessions and talks in the iCal format for importing into your calendar. However importing a whole session plan into your standard calendar renders it pretty much useless for anything else. Giraffe allows users to import the schedule into a separate list giving you a simple overview on what happens on the conference. Besides the session, title, date and time it also lists the speaker, location and description if available in the iCal URL. Sessions can be bookmarked and the list can be filtered by favourites and upcoming talks.
Recently I added the support for Open Event JSON format along with iCal. In this blog I describe the simple steps you need to follow to see the event that is created in the Open Event server in the Giraffe app. The initial steps are similar to Giggity app,
1. Go to your event dashboard
2. Click on the export button.
3. Select sessions from the dashboard and copy the URL.
4. Click on the “Giraffe” button on the toolbar and paste the link in the box following. App will ask you to paste it when the first time you open it. Here the app loads the data and checks few initial character to see which kind of data is received. Find my other blog post to solve that problem here.
The app uses separate data models for iCal and JSON to store the informations received and then save them in SQL database for CRUD options. See the database activity here
5. Now you can see the sessions. Click on them to see more information or bookmark them if needed. The data is loaded from the database so when app is offline so we don’t need to worry about connection once the data is being loaded.
- Documentation for Giraffe app by https://www.splitbrain.org/projects/giraffe
- APK for testing https://github.com/heysadboy/open-event-apps/blob/master/apk/giraffe.apk